Porridge is a breakfast I grew up with. My mum always said it was one of the healthiest breakfasts that she could give us. That’s why I make it for my kids today, myself included.
I absolutely love porridge as when it comes to toppings, the sky’s the limit. You only need to check out my social media to see how many variations of porridge we eat in our house. Oats can keep you feeling full longer as well, so it’s a great breakfast to have before a busy day at school or even a day at the office.
Making the Mixed berry compote
This is not a strict recipe, if you're using fresh berries try and use what’s in season as the compote will always come out tasting heavenly. If you don’t like a certain berry, leave it out. The best berries to use for this compote recipe are strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cherries, blackberries, and cranberries. Keep your fresh berries fresh by storing them in airtight containers in your fridge. I always have a few different types of berries stored in my fridge at any one time.
Mixed berry compote porridge is creamy, warming, and absolutely delicious. We love making this recipe when the berries are in season. I’m a huge fan of berry picking with the kiddies. We make all sorts of recipes, from jams to dessert toppings. This compote recipe is enough to top two creamy porridge breakfasts. But normally when making a mixed berry compote, you should make up a big batch. Enough to last a few days and use it to top porridges, and desserts too.
Creamy porridge topped with mixed berry compote
For the mix berry compote, you’ll need
- 300 g Frozen mixed berries
- 1 tbsp Soft brown sugar
First let’s start with making the mixed berry compote
- Simply add the 300g of frozen berries and 1 tablespoon of soft brown sugar into a small sauce pan and put over a low heat to simmer for around 30 minutes. Stir occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the sauce pan.300 g Frozen mixed berries, 1 tbsp Soft brown sugar
- When your berry compote is finished cooking put it to one side to cool.
Now let’s make our creamy porridge.
- To make the porridge, place the oats into a saucepan then add in your milk.100 g Porridge oats, 600 mls Milk
- Then simply bring to the boil and then let the porridge simmer for 3-4 minutes, keep stirring through the whole cooking process so that the porridge cooks evenly. A few minutes before it's finished cooking add in the pinch of salt for flavor.Salt
- When it’s finished cooking remove from the heat and let it stand for a minute.
- Grab yourself a bowl and fill with the beautiful creamy porridge.
- Then simply top your porridge with the mixed berry compote, stir and enjoy.
Follow Love Food Feed on social media pages to see all my new healthy breakfast recipes as they come out each week. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and lots more.