Bring your morning porridge to a new level with this chocolate porridge topped with raspberries and sliced almonds.
Breakfast Porridge is a what I grew up with. My mum always said it was one of the healthiest breakfasts that she could give us. This is why I make it for my kids today. I absolutely love porridge as when it comes to the toppings, sky’s the limit. You only need to check my social media to see how many variations of porridge we eat in our house.
Chocolate in Porridge?
Chocolate and raspberries just go so well together, like a match made in heaven. This is one of my favorite breakfasts. I first made this chocolate porridge when I was pregnant with my second daughter. It was kind of a craving at one point, but I find myself making this chocolatey porridge 11 years later and still loving it.
Is Porridge Healthy?
Porridge is packed full of essential vitamins and minerals like zinc, iron, Vitamins B and E and insoluble fibre, which help maintain a healthy bowel and is great for digestive health. Oats contain a type of soluble fibre called beta-glucan, which studies suggest can help lower your cholesterol level too. They are also naturally gluten free but check the label to ensure that their oats are not made using the same equipment as other potentially contaminating grains. Oats can keep you feeling fuller longer as well, it’s a great breakfast to have before a busy day of school or even a day at the office. Using one of these flasks means you could have that warm porridge feeling for lunch to. They are also great for soups and noodles on the go.
The Best Chocolate Porridge
- Place the 100g of oats into a saucepan then add 600mls of milk, a pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon of soft brown sugar and 30g of dark chocolate.
- Simply bring your porridge mix to the boil and then let the chocolate porridge simmer for 3-4 minutes, keep stirring through the whole cooking process so that the porridge cooks evenly.
- When the porridge is finished cooking remove from the heat and let it stand for a minute.
- Grab yourself a bowl and fill with the beautiful creamy chocolate porridge.
- Add a few fresh raspberries and sliced almonds for a healthy garnish, then eat and enjoy.