Bring your morning porridge to a new level with this apple and cinnamon porridge topped with pecans and maple syrup.
Porridge is a breakfast I grew up with. My mum always said it was one of the healthiest breakfasts that she could give us. That’s why I make it for my kids today, myself included. Porridge is a family favorite as when it comes to toppings the sky’s the limit. You only need to check my social media to see how many variations of porridge we eat in our house.
This porridge is creamy, warming and absolutely delicious. Apple and cinnamon are two ingredients that just work so well together when added to a creamy porridge, it’s like love in a bowl.
Where I got this recipe
I got this recipe from a lovely elderly lady that I used to care for back when I worked in a nursing home. She was very well-traveled and knew how she liked her food. She was 103 years of age and was very particular about her porridge. She handed me this recipe and I made up a large saucepan for her and several of the other ladies and gentlemen that were keen to try it out. Not only was it a big hit with the clients it was a big hit with me too. I’ve been making this recipe ever since.
What kind of apples to use?
For the best flavor porridge add in your favorite eating apple. I love granny smith apples as they have a little sharpness to them. My kiddies love pink lady apples best (I’m pretty sure it’s only because they are pink lol). Golden delicious apples taste lovely and sweet mixed in with the cinnamon. Everyone has their favorite apple, so use whichever one you like the most.
Apple and cinnamon porridge topped with pecans and maple syrup
- The first thing to do is core, peel, and grate an eating apple of your choice, my favorite is granny smith apples but my kids love pink lady apples best.1 Eating apple
- Place the 50g of oats into a saucepan then add 300mlsof milk, a pinch of salt, ½ a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and your grated apple.50 g Porridge oats, 300 mls Milk, ⅛ tsp Salt, ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Then simply bring to a boil and then let the porridge simmer for 3-4 minutes stirring throughout the cooking process.
- Take off the heat and let the porridge stand for 1 minute.
- Grab yourself a bowl and fill it with apple cinnamon porridge.
- To top your porridge add a tablespoon of chopped pecans.
- Then pour a small amount of maple syrup over the top. And there you have it my delicious apple and cinnamon porridge topped with pecans and maple syrup. Now all that’s left is to sit and enjoy.1 tbsp Pecans, 2 tbsp Maple syrup
Or follow Love Food Feed on our social media so you never miss out on our new recipes as they come out each week.