Summer’s here, and it’s time to fire up the grill for something a little different. While burgers and hot dogs are classic BBQ fare, why not surprise your guests with a sweet twist? Grilled donuts paired with caramelized peaches make for a memorable and mouthwatering dessert.
Grilled donuts may sound unusual, but trust us, they’re a delightful addition to any summer BBQ dessert table. We’ve been making these sweet treats for years, and they’ve become a family favorite. Think of them as a cousin to the ice cream sandwich, but with a twist – you’ll want to enjoy these with a spoon!
Why Grilled Donuts?
Grilled donuts are a breeze to prepare because you can get everything ready before the BBQ even starts. For the ambitious, you can even make your own baked donuts the night before, but store-bought donuts work just as well. We won’t tell if you don’t!
Serving warm desserts at the end of a family BBQ is a tradition we cherish. It’s a lovely touch to place something sweet on the grill as the heat begins to wane, and grilled donuts fit the bill perfectly.
Making these grilled donuts is a cinch. After you’ve prepped and cooked your peaches, add the donut halves and peaches to the grill. The donuts will warm up, and the peaches will caramelize slightly over the grill, adding an extra layer of flavor.
Serving your grilled donuts
The final step is to assemble your grilled donuts. Take one donut half, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a grilled peach half, then top it with the other half of the donut. To finish, drizzle honey over your grilled donuts and sprinkle a few sliced almonds.
If you’d like to enjoy these grilled donuts like a burger, we recommend skipping the sticky honey topping. For the easiest donut preparation, consider using donut cutters. They’re affordable and save you from searching your kitchen for something to cut your dough into the perfect shape.
The taste is out of this world – you’re going to fall in love with these filled grilled donuts. Here’s the recipe to get you started:
BBQ Grilled Peach Filled Donuts
- Preheat your grill to medium heat or your oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits2 Fresh peaches
- Next add the 2 tablespoons of butter, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of soft brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract into a bowl and mix the ingredients together.2 tbsp Butter, 1 tsp Ground cinnamon, 2 tbsp Maple syrup, 1 tbsp Soft brown sugar, 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Place the peaches into a small Pyrex dish and fill each peach halve with the cinnamon butter mixture.
- Then place into a pre heated oven for 20 minutes, letting the sugar and butter mixture seep into the peaches while they cook a little. You can cook on the BBQ just put the peaches onto a tin tray and cover with foil then cook on a medium heat.
- Turn on your BBQ grill to medium heat and lower the cover, it will take about 5-10 minutes for it to preheat.
- When the peaches have finished baking, using tongs pick up each peach half from the Pyrex dish or tin tray and place on to your BBQ grill. They will need 2 minutes each side.
- Slice each donut in half and place these on to the grill also. The donuts will take about 60 seconds each side (keep an eye as we don’t want the donuts to burn, they cook quicker than you think)4 Sugared donuts
- Once the BBQ donuts and peaches have been grilled on both sides remove from the grill and let them cool a little.
- Assemble your grilled donuts: place a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a grilled peach half between two donut halves. Drizzle honey and sprinkle sliced almonds on top.4 tsp Honey, 2 tbsp Sliced almonds, 4 scoops Vanilla ice-cream
Frequently asked questions.
Can I use store-bought donuts for this recipe?
Absolutely, you can use store-bought donuts if you prefer a quicker option. They work just as well in this recipe. If you’re short on time or don’t feel like making donuts from scratch, this is a convenient alternative. You’ll still get the delicious combination of grilled donuts and caramelized peaches.
What if I don’t have a BBQ grill?
No worries if you don’t have a BBQ grill. You can achieve similar mouthwatering results using your oven. Simply follow the same steps as described in the recipe but bake the peaches and donuts in your preheated oven at 200°C (400°F) instead of grilling them. The sweet caramelization of peaches and the warm, soft donuts are equally delightful when prepared this way.
Can I make this dessert in advance for a BBQ party?
While this dessert is best enjoyed fresh for that perfect warm and indulgent experience, you can still prepare most of it in advance to save time on the day of your BBQ party. Roast the peaches and prepare the donuts the night before. When it’s time to serve, quickly warm the donuts and peaches on the grill or in the oven, assemble, and enjoy. Your guests will love it, and you won’t be stuck in the kitchen.
Are there any creative variations I can try with these grilled donuts?
Absolutely, there are various creative variations you can explore with this recipe. Feel free to experiment with different ice cream flavors to add exciting twists. You can also play around with drizzles and toppings. A dash of cinnamon adds a warm, aromatic flavor, while a sprinkle of chocolate chips or crushed nuts provides delightful texture. Get adventurous and make it your own.
Can I make these donuts without the ice cream and toppings?
Certainly, you can enjoy the simplicity of grilled donuts and caramelized peaches without the ice cream and toppings. Sometimes, the natural sweetness of the peaches and the slightly crispy, warm donuts are all you need for a delightful treat. It’s versatile, and you can savor it in its purest form.
The warmth of a BBQ dessert, the rich flavors, and the simplicity of this recipe make it a winner for any summer gathering. So, fire up the grill, try out this delightful dessert, and watch your guests savor every bite.