Grilled donuts, a summer BBQ sensation that’s become a family favorite in our household. These tasty treats offer a unique twist on the classic ice cream sandwich, although I must admit, a spoon might be your best companion for this barbecue dessert. Crafting BBQ grilled donuts is a breeze, as you can prep all the ingredients ahead of your grill session. I often opt for homemade baked donuts, but if convenience is your game, store-bought donuts work just as well – our little secret! Serving up a warm dessert as the BBQ cools down is a tradition I cherish, and grilled donuts perfectly fit the bill.
Creating this delightful dessert is a simple affair. Once your mixed berry compote is ready to roll, you’re in business. When dessert time calls, place the donut halves on the grill, ensuring they warm to perfection – don’t let them out of your sight, as they cook up swiftly. Then, the pièce de résistance – take a donut half, crown it with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream, and generously ladle on the mixed berry compote. Seal the deal with the other half of your donut, and it’s ready to be savored.
These grilled donuts are a hands-on experience, just like biting into a burger, sans the sticky mess. The flavor? Unbelievably scrumptious! You’ll soon find yourself head over heels for these stuffed grilled donuts. Speaking of handy tools, I recently treated myself to a set of ice cream scoops in various sizes – they’re a game-changer for crafting perfectly rounded ice cream scoops and even cookies. If you’re intrigued, you can find them on Amazon at a fantastic price, complete with free delivery. Check out my step-by-step guide to crafting these mouthwatering BBQ donuts below.
Can I use store-bought donuts for this recipe?
Absolutely, you can use store-bought donuts to save time and effort. While homemade donuts are a delightful option, pre-packaged ones work just as well and won’t compromise the deliciousness of this dessert.
Can I make the mixed berry compote in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the mixed berry compote ahead of time. This way, you’ll have a ready-to-go topping for your grilled donuts, making the dessert assembly even quicker when it’s time to serve.
Are these grilled donuts suitable for vegetarians?
Yes, these grilled donuts are suitable for vegetarians. As long as you use vegetarian-friendly ingredients for the donuts and toppings, this dessert can be enjoyed by vegetarians.
How long does it take to grill the donut halves?
The grilling process for the donut halves is swift, usually taking just a couple of minutes. Be sure to keep a close eye on them to prevent overcooking and ensure they’re perfectly warm.
BBQ Grilled Berry Filled Donuts
To make the mixed berry compote
- Simply add the 300g of your fresh or frozen mixed berries, 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of soft brown sugar into a small sauce pan.300 g of fresh or frozen mixed berries, 2-3 tbsp of water, 1 tbsp Soft brown sugar
- Place pan over a low heat to simmer for around 30 minutes. Stir occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the sauce pan.
- When it’s finished cooking put to one side to cool.
- It will thicken a little more as it cools too.
To make the grilled donuts
- Turn on your BBQ grill to medium heat and lower the cover, it will take about 5-10 minutes for it to preheat.
- Slice each donut in half and place these on to the grill. The donuts will take about 60 seconds each side (keep an eye as we don’t want the donuts to burn, they cook quicker than you think)4 Sugared donuts
- Once the donuts have been grilled on both sides remove from the grill and let them cool a little.
- When they are warm, take one donut half and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream top with a large spoon of mixed berry compote, then add the top of your donut.4 scoops Vanilla ice-cream
- Serve immediately and enjoy.