Churro’s with Chocolate Dipping Sauce
These Churro's are soft on the inside and crisp on the outside. The cinnamon sugar just adds the perfect amount of sweetness to this delicious churro recipe.
I’ve spent days perfecting this churro recipe and it tastes sooo good, it’s soft on the inside and crisp on the outside. The cinnamon sugar just adds the perfect amount of sweetness to this tasty churro recipe. I also show you how to make a delicious chocolate dipping sauce too. It would be just wrong on so many levels, to eat churros without a warm chocolate dipping sauce.
Believe it or not, I only had my first churro a couple of years ago when I visited my sister in Spain. When you walk around the city of Barcelona you see stands with people selling hot freshly made churros in nearly all the street markets. The smell was out of this world and the scent of cinnamon sugar wafting in the air was too much of an enticement to resist. One taste and I was hooked.
I ate churros nearly every day I was there. So much so that my sister asked if I was on some sort of churro diet lol. What could I say except, that you can’t buy freshly made churros near me? If there is, someone needs to tell me and I’ll be there buying up the stall as quick as you can say chocolate dipping sauce.
What is a churro?
You may be asking yourself what is a churro? Well, churros are a Spanish or Mexican pastry a bit like a doughnut or cruller and are made from deep-fried unsweetened dough and then sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Churros ingredients are pretty simple, they consist of water, butter, sugar, salt, flour, egg, and vanilla extract made into a dough and then deep-fried. Then of course sprinkled in sugar and normally served with a warm chocolate dipping sauce.
Electric Churro maker
If you are looking for a healthier option to make churros you can buy a churro maker. The churro maker bakes the churros in a machine that looks very similar to a waffle maker. I have seen them advertised but have never used one myself. I love the texture the deep-fried churros give, they come out perfectly golden and crisp on the outside and soft and airy on the inside every time. This churro maker is available on Amazon and comes highly recommended with lots of 5-star reviews. Cooking churros with an electric churro maker reduces the calories a lot so if you are on diet this is definitely for you.
Churro Maker Recipe
If you’re going to be using a churro maker to cook your churros instead of a deep-fat fryer, you’ll need to change the cooking times. Once you’ve made your batter and placed it into a pipping bag, bring your churro hotplate up to temperature. Lightly spray the hot plate with a little oil, then pipe your churro batter onto the lower hotplate, close the lid and cook for around 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Once your churros are cooked remove them from the Churro Maker using a silicone spatula or tongs. Please don’t use metal utensils as these will damage the non-stick coating of your electric churro maker. Lastly, toss your churros in the cinnamon sugar mix until coated. Place your sugared churros on a serving plate and serve with chocolate dipping sauce.
Churro's with Chocolate Dipping Sauce
For the churros
- The first thing to make is our cinnamon sugar, for this, you’ll need a baking sheet and simply add 100g of granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and mix the two ingredients together and set to one side100 g Granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- Grab a saucepan and add in the water, unsalted butter, and salt, and bring to a boil over a medium heat.85 g Unsalted butter, ¼ teaspoon Salt, 250 milliliters Water
- Once the wet ingredients are boiling turn to a low heat and add in your plain flour and caster sugar and stir using a spatula until all the mixture turns into a smooth dough140 g Plain flour, 1 tablespoon Caster sugar
- Transfer the hot churro dough into a large mixing bowl and leave it to cool for 5-10 minutes
- While the dough is cooling pour the sunflower oil into your fryer or deep skillet and heat it to 180 degrees Celsius or 360 degrees Fahrenheit1 Sunflower oil for deep frying
- Once the dough has cooled add in vanilla extract and 1 egg in the mixing bowl and mix really well, keep mixing until the dough comes together and is smooth again.1 teaspoon Vanilla extract, 1 Large Egg
- Transfer the churro dough into a piping bag or pipping gun with a star tip attachment with the size churro you would like.
- Carefully pipe the churro dough into your pre-heated oil and cut at whatever length churro you want with a sharp knife or clean scissors being careful not to splash.
- Leave your churros to fry until they are golden brown, they should only take about a minute or so.
- Using tongs transfer them to a kitchen roll to let them drip dry for one minute.
- Now transfer the warm churros to the cinnamon sugar and roll them until they are covered in a coat of sugar and set to one side
- Repeat this frying, drying, and rolling process with the left-over dough mixture.
- In a saucepan add in 100g of dark chocolate and 100ml of double cream.100 g Dark chocolate, 100 milliliters Double cream
- Heat up over a medium heat keep stirring slowly until the chocolate mixture is all melted and become smooth,
- Transfer the dipping sauce to a small serving bowl.
- There you have it warm sweet crisp churros served with a delicious chocolate dipping sauce.
How many calories are in a Churro?
Churros contain 144 calories per churro (according to our nutrition API). Churro calories mostly come from their sugar and fat content. This churros recipe contains 8 grams of sugar each and 9 grams of fat.
What are the ingredients for a churro?
For the churros
- 250 ml Water
- 85 g Unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp Caster sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 140 g Plain flour
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Sunflower oil for deep frying
If your looking for more fried desserts why not check out some of my popular donut recipes. This double chocolate frosted donut recipe is always a big hit with everyone, it’s one of my favorites.
Stay tuned as I will be posting my Mickey Mouse-shaped churros recipe real soon, I’ll be sharing a really neat trick where you can shape your churros any shape you want. I’m a huge Disney fan so I had to make a Disney-inspired churro.
Do churro makers work?
Overall, electric churro makers are an efficient and easy way to make churros at home. They provide a consistent shape and texture, and can be used to make a variety of churro recipes. If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to make churros, an electric churro maker might be the perfect kitchen appliance for you.