Tis the season for all things sweet and Christmas themed. This gorgeous candy cane inspired cupcake recipe is no exception. Fluffy moist vanilla cupcakes topped with snow white glaze icing. They are decorated with fondant lollipops and colorful ribbons creating perfect Christmas themed treats.
Christmas themed cupcakes
I love getting creative in the kitchen, especially when there’s a holiday approaching. Making a selection of different festive cupcakes couldn’t be any easier. These candy cupcakes are super easy to decorate. It only took about 15 minutes to glaze and decorate all 12 Christmas cupcakes. The red and white fondant icing twisted together looks so festive. If your thinking of making a few different Christmas themed cupcakes then definitely take a look at some of our other popular Christmas cupcakes too. We have some super cute polar bear cupcakes, snowman cupcakes inspired by the 1982 Snowman movie and also we have some cheeky red nose reindeer cupcakes that we know you’ll just love. All these Christmas cupcake recipes are simple to make and look amazing.
How do you make fondant candy canes?
Making fondant candy canes is easier than you’d think. To start make two thin red sausage shapes and one thicker white sausage shape. Now you need to sandwich the three colors together by putting one red stick on each side of the thicker white fondant. Next, cut your long fondant stick into 10cm lengths. Now you need to evenly and gently roll and twist the three colored fondant sticks into a larger twirled candy cane stick. This twirled candy cane stick needs to be around 1cm thick when it’s finished. The length of your straight candy sticks will vary, so cut them to your desired length. Finally, to complete the candy cane shape you need to bend one end of the fondant stick into a cane handle shape.
Christmas food ideas!
These Candy cane inspired cupcakes go great with our peppermint hot chocolate. There’s nothing better than enjoying hot chocolate after a cold winter’s walk. Or even better, getting cozy with your fingers wrapped around a mug of hot coco, watching your favorite Netflix show. This stunning peppermint hot chocolate recipe is topped with whipped cream and crushed candy cane to make it extra Christmassy.
Must have! Baking equipment this Christmas.
Remember the jolly season creeps up fast this time of year. Before you know it you’ll be scrambling through cupboards and heading out to the shops last minute trying to grab that one thing you need to complete your perfect Christmas dinner. I find being well equiped in the kitchen saves me a lot trips and scouring round department stores trying to find things in stock. Here’s a few reminders of items that will help you be prepared for every eventuallity this Christmas. All these Items are on Amazon at a great price and with free fast delivery it really takes the hassle out of some of your Xmas shopping.
Christmas Candy Cupcake
For the vanilla cupcakes
To make the cupcakes
- First step in making candy cupcakes is to preheat your oven to 190°C or 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grab yourself a large mixing bowl or stand mixer and start to cream the butter for a couple of minutes until it’s smooth and creamy.250 g Unsalted butter
- Then add in the caster sugar and give it another good mix until its all creamed together.250 g Caster sugar
- Add in the eggs one at a time and beat on a high speed.4 Medium Eggs
- Add in the milk and vanilla extract and mix again.1 teaspoon Vanilla extract, 3 tablespoons Milk
- Lastly add in the flour and salt then mix of a medium speed for a minute until the cake mixture is well incorporated.250 g Self-raising flour, 1 Pinch Salt
- Divide the cake batter between the cake cases filling each one up ¾ full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes in your preheated oven. To test if the cupcakes are cooked, simply poke the center of one of the cakes with skewer, if it comes out clean its done if there is a little cake batter stuck to it, pop it back into the oven for a couple more minutes.
- Once baked leave the cupcakes in the tin for a few minutes to cool before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling properly.
To make the decorations
- First you’ll need to make the white glaze icing, to do this grab yourself a mixing bowl and add in the icing sugar, vanilla extract and water. Stir the ingredients until you have a smooth runny consistency. Add a teaspoon of icing to the top of each cupcake making sure that the tops are all covered.225 g Powdered icing sugar, 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla extract, 15 milliliters Water
- Next, you’ll need red and white fondant icing. Make two thin red sausage shapes and one thicker white sausage shape.200 g Red fondant icing, 200 g White fondant icing
- Sandwich the three colors together by putting one red stick on each side of the thicker white fondant. Next, cut your long fondant stick into 10cm lengths.
- Now you need to evenly and gently roll the three colored fondant sticks into a longer candy cane stick.
- Now evenly twist the three colored fondant sticks into a twirled candy cane stick.
- Cut the fondant candy stick into 10cm lengths, you'll need quite a few of these candy cane style lengths. This twirled candy cane stick needs to be around 1cm thick when it's finished.
- To make the candy ribbon skewers take one length and roll it flat using the mini roller, the ribbon should be around 2cm in width.
- Now take your ribbon and thread it onto a small skewer, alternating each side as you skewer the ribbon.
- To make the candy lollipop take another fondant length and roll it into a flat shaped lollipop circle.
- Lastly poke a skewer through the bottom of the candy, to give it an old-fashioned lollipop look.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the cupcakes. And wallah, now you have yourself these absolutely gorgeous Christmas candy cane cupcakes, enjoy.
Stay connected with Love Food Feed on various social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and YouTube to discover our latest weekly recipes.