This recipe will show you how to make apple roses from scratch. I came across healthy baked apple rose recipes while browsing Pinterest one day. Blossoming rose apple pies look so beautiful I just had to make a few for myself (ok I did share a couple).
I made these apple rose tarts for a Valentine’s Day dessert last year and everyone absolutely loved them. I served them up with cream cheese. To be honest I wish that I had made more pretty apple rosettes as they were so delicious.
This recipe makes six beautiful baked puff pastry apple roses. There are only five desserts in my photos as I managed to drop one before it even made it to the oven. These baked apple rose pies were a little fiddley to make but for the wow factor you get from your friends and family it’s totally worth the extra time.
How To Make Apple Roses
Once you have sliced your apples thinly and warmed them in the oven to soften them. Cut a long strip of puff pastry, and add a little strawberry jam with a pastry brush. Then in a line in the center of your pastry, place the apple slices slightly overlapping each other in a straight line. Fold the pastry over covering the bottom of the line of apple slices. Press the pastry down to seal the slices of apple in place. Then simply roll up the pastry from one end to the other. There you’ve created beautiful apple rose cupcakes. Pop them into a muffin tin and bake.
Once you have made the first tasty rose apple, you will know what you are doing and the rest will be easier to make.
Apple Roses Recipe
- First preheat your oven to 180°C 350°F.
- Then core and chop your apples in half from top to bottom.
- Thinly slice your apples so they look like apple rainbow shapes.
- Grab yourself a Pyrex bowl, add a little water and a good amount of lemon juice in.
- Place your sliced apple into the lemon water.
- Pop the apples into the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the apple slices are warm and flexible.
- Roll out your puff pastry sheet and cut it into six long strips.
- Add a thin layer of strawberry jam to each stipe of puff pastry using a pastry brush.
- Then in a line in the center of your pastries, place the apple slices slightly over lapping each other in a straight line.
- Fold the pastry over covering the bottom of the line of apple slices.
- Press the pastry down to seal the slices of apple in place.
- Then simply roll up the pastry from one end to the other to make your apple rose into a flower.
- Cut a square of parchment paper out and place your apple rose cupcakes into a muffin tin.
- Repeat this process until all the rose apples are made.
- Place tour apple rose tarts into your preheated oven for 25 mins.
- I decorate my apple roses with sprinkles of powdered sugar for that polished look.
- Once you've baked your tasty rose pastries you can serve hot and fresh out of the oven or serve them later chilled, it’s up to you.
You can pop the bowl of apple slices in lemon water into the microwave for 1-2 minutes instead of the oven if you prefer (just make sure they are flexible before making them into a rose) You can also place the apple roses into cupcake cases instead of cutting squares of parchment paper.
Instead of using strawberry jam why not mix butter, brown sugar and cinnamon together and spread a tin layer just like the jam or some rose apple recipes use cream cheese in the puff pastry base.
If your looking for more Valentines’ Day desserts check out my Strawberry Bouquet recipe. The edible bouquet was a big hit in my house, I can’t wait to make it again.
Or follow Love Food Feed on our social media, where you’ll see all my new tasty recipes as they come out each week.